You won't believe this. It's simple and delicious. It sounds like a ton of black pepper but it's perfectly matched with a tofu scramble and gives enough kick to get your day going. I put this on top of salads or eat for breakfast.
Serves 2-3 people.
1 can chickpeas, drained and rinsed
2 large red potatoes, cubed
1 tbsp olive oil
1 tbsp black pepper
salt to taste
water, for boiling potatoes
Large pot (for potatoes)
Potato masher or fork (for mashing chickpeas)
Medium bowl (for mashing chickpeas)
Large skillet (large enough for the potatoes and chickpeas)
1. Mash your chickpeas in a medium sized bowl after draining and rinsing. You can use the back of a fork or a potato masher. Set aside.
2. Parboil your cubed potatoes until they are just starting to get soft. To do this, cover your cubed potatoes in cold water, in a large pot. Bring water to a boil and then once boiling, turn off heat and cover the pot for about five minutes.
3. Remove the pot from stove, drain potatoes and set aside.
4. Take out your large skillet and add mashed chickpeas and drained potatoes to the skillet. sprinkle olive oil, black pepper, salt. Combine and stir as the skillet heats and the mash starts to cook!
5. Cook on medium-high for about 5 minutes until chickpeas start to crisp and brown and the potatoes are golden, soft.
6. Remove from heat and serve!
Note: this tastes great cold, too.